Monday, May 11, 2009

Clutch & Brake Lever Modification

I have been having trouble, not just with my bike, but with also the bikes I used on the course, with reaching the levers. I don’t have the smallest of hands for a girl, but I guess they are smaller than the average guy, which I presume the bike is set up for. I tried to adjust the levers like it said in the manual, but that only helped slightly. Paul mentioned to me that the cast aluminium levers could be bent if heated.

So today I sought Peter’s help. He was a little worried with heating aluminium, as it doesn’t give off the telltale glow steel does. Checking on the net, there is a technique of rubbing softened soap on the area prior to heating the cast aluminium with an oxy-acetylene torch. Once the soap chars the metal is almost ready to bend. At this point he heated the area a little more, tried to bend the metal, and if it didn’t bend, continue heating. After the desired angle was created the metal was allowed to cool without quenching. It worked like a treat! In ten minutes the handles were bent to the desired angle.

This evening I placed the levers back on the bike and they are definitely easier to reach. The real test will be on my next ride.

No comments: